Allenheads village centre – note the two carts, the main transport of that day. Sent by 1d post. (12 pennies (d) in every shilling and 20 shillings in every pound.) Today it costs 19p, or approximately a fifth of a pound. In old money that’s four shillings!
Group stood in front of the Allendale fire engine. Left to right: Tommy Shield and Joseph Bell, both firemen, unknown, Clifford Fairlamb, Basil Fairlamb (in white), June (Simpson) Walker, five unknown, Leslie Coulson, Beth Shield, unknown.
Dorothy Lancaster teaching pony riding. The Allendale Co-op Drapery opened in 1937 – formerly the site of the Fosters’ house. The garage behind was used for storing vehicles. Parked are the Whitfield Co-op van – driver, Jack Warwick, the bank manager’s car, the cobbler’s car, Percy Lindsay’s car.
Postcard view of Spartylea at the beginning of the 20th century. Note the horse and cart stood on the road. Building top left of picture was ‘Tilery’ cottage where at one time tiles were made. In the centre, facing, of the picture can be seen the Post Office.
Clearing a way into the village during the bad snows of 1947. Just outside the Recreation Ground. The caterpillar tractor was one of Vickers’ (Scotswood Road, Newcastle) – tractor production here was later abandoned.