Allenheads - Circa 1975

Originally this was the Allenheads school. Up to the 1850’s, classes were taught by the minister, Rev. W. Walton who was curate at St. Peters in 1827. The school on Fawside was built 1848.

Allendale - Circa 1931

School Group taken outside Allendale First School. Back: Betty Gibson, Iris Hutchinson, Mary Elliott. Front: Irene Peart (Bell), Evelyn Walton, Mary Tait.

Allendale - Circa 1935

Tynedale Music Competition – winners? Headmaster, Mr Smailes. Centre, holding shield, Helen Allison with Irene Bell next to her. Back row: Mr smailes, Dennis Williamson, Albert Vickers, Cyril Dickinson, Mattie Bulman, Lancie Dodd, Fred Fairless. Middle: Freda Peart, Peggie Dodd,…,Mary Lynch, Evelyn Walton, Barbara Pigg, Nancy Brown, Ivy Robson, Mildrid Palmer, Iris Hutchinson, Peggie Newman, … read more

Allendale - February 1984

Allendale First School. Opened in April 1880 as Allendale Board School. Its first headmaster was Emerson Peart. The Board School was attended by the younger children whilst the older ones remained at Brides Hill School, built by Mr Beaumont in 1851. However it closed in 1887 and the senior pupils were then transferred to the … read more

Catton - 1905

Catton village centre. School building on far right Village water pump inside the enclosure.

Sinderhope - March 1996

Sinderhope School, built around 1851 by the Beaumont Mine owners and public subscription. It has more recently been used as a Community Centre.

Allendale - 1965

Looking along Leadgate towards the village centre. Middle School entrance on left.