Allen Valleys Local History
Group outside Sinderhope Chapel. Early 1900s?
Final service at Whiteley Shield Chapel, September 2015
Home Guard at Whitfield Hall c. 1945
High Scotch Hall Cottage in the autumn of 1963.
Postcard showing Huntwell – originally built for Thomas Sopwith (possibly 1860-70). In the top right corner of the photograph is Coating Hill.
Killhope Lead mine – building and water wheel.
Chimney before being hit by lightning but starting to crumble.
Chimney after lightning struck.
Re-building of chimney showing Wilf Frazer on the left with two others from Allendale
Church at Carrshields – since demolished.
Top of the Peth, Allendale.
Ashleigh – rear view from golf course.
Allendale village centre in the 1950s. Note the scales stood at the doorway of the Post Office.
Postcard showing the former railway station finding a new use as a caravan park in the 1950s.
‘Ashleigh’ was built as a private house by a Mr Lee of Ashington Colliery. It was turned into a hotel in the 1950s, and later a residential care home.
Ashleigh House hosting the Methodist Garden Party.
Coating Hill, Sparty Lea. Thomas Milburn, father of Nancy, was born here in 1882